11.03.2008

Business System: Digital Roughs

 
I chose to create a letterhead, event mailer, and folder that would hold materials that would go to schools with information on the program. The first option utilizes the symbol as a dominant element in a black and white design. This idea uses typographic elements to relate to my audience and give a really clean look to the system. I plan on using the symbol as an embossing motif throughout, I just have to figure out how to do that.
The second option focuses more on the use of images from actual events juxtaposed with images of students and their artwork.

During my small group critique today a couple of really great ideas came up. It was suggested I push the shape of the folder to give a more creative edge while integrating strong splotches of color on the rigid black and white of the first option.

1 comment:

Cramer said...

Howdy Alyssa,

I like your two directions for Creativeright. A few comments to hopefully lend some help.

I actually really like the first design. I think the reason is because it stresses awesome typography and I am a man who enjoys his type. That aside, I do like the use of the bracket, it works probably best in your mailer. I think it becomes a bit problematic in when flipped like in your letterhead. That isn't to say it wouldn't work within that piece as it would necessary, but that particular placement isn't working.

When looking at your two designs I do like the introduction of color that the pictures bring into your system, but I think they both have merits and could each be realized. Again the first design would piggyback on your ability to execute typography like a professional.

The second design design route seems like somewhat of a difference beast in that here you need to be careful to strike a balance between type and imagery. Not only the pictures you use but the amount of text versus pictures and sizes of each of these elements.

As they currently stand there is some issues with how much is going on. I think the best treatment of text and picture is in your mailer. You leave a lot of white space and breathing room for your type and add more of a splash of pictures.

Where this idea can become problematic is evident in your letterhead. There is a lot going on in this piece. You have pictures next to a wall of text. That is a lot of text to take in at once, when you add some pictures into the mix the entire thing becomes very heavy, and even more so congested. Bringing down the size of the pictures could help, but I think looking back at the pictureless version I would tackle that solid page of text and try to give it some breathing room, maybe take some out.

Overall, I really do think you have two solid ideas here. I personally would push you in the type heavy direction, but they I am biased.

The biggest thing I like about the pictures is that they bring in a splash of color, which is the only criticism I have of the all type route.