11.17.2008

Graphics Standards Manual: Digital Rough

Here is my refined digital rough. The symbol will be a white binding post that will somehow have the symbol on top. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do that, that would be great! It's a little small so go ahead and click on it to see it larger. The full size is 10" x 3.4". This size and format promotes the viewer to fan out the book and see each page. A fan book format also allows for quick reference to the material. I'll post each page as I finish them, but this is a look at the whole piece.
I'm trying to decide whether I should keep the corners square or rounded. Also, is there too much white space? I really like the white space but once it's fanned out, it might be too much.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Okay, this is going to be a post about your business system and the graphic standards rough.

B. System:
Your business system is successful for a number of reasons. First I think you found the right balance of cleanliness: its not too uptight, but its also not too "artsy" or messy. What this says is that your organization understands that creativity does not have to be over-the-top, rather, it rests in the students that the program will help-- the goal of the business system is to communicate clearly, while leaving individualism to individuals. The colors you chose support this "controlled creativity". Also helping the system is the rather unexpected shapes of the pieces-- the tall narrow letter and the angular folder-- that offset the formal printed design.

I can't remember specific points for critique. However, I still think it would be nice to see the packet with alternate colors/pictures-- maybe it's because I like series of things...

Standards Manual: I like the idea of the rotating pages. It fits with the identity. I wouldn't make the corners rounded because the b. system doesn't do that. Is it just me, or is there a lot of info that has to fit into these manuals-- so that much white space might end up getting filled? Also, what will you do with the backs of the sheets, will they be blank? Construction: they have those "pegs" that they ram through the paper-- could you use one of those and then paint or glue something to it that has your "c" monogram?